NEWS: Leading IoT Solutions Providers Launch LoRaWAN Academy, a Comprehensive and Global LoRaWAN Standard-based LPWAN University Program
LoRaWAN Academy provides university campuses with a complete set of LoRaWAN tools and an IoT curriculum for cutting-edge LoRaWAN protocol-based programming skills and innovative research
CAMARILLO, Calif., Nov. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- LoRaWAN Academy, a comprehensive and global university program connecting next-generation engineers with LoRaWAN™ standard-based low power wide area network (LPWAN) technology for applied learning and innovative research, was launched today by leading technology companies: Kerlink, LoRa Alliance™, Microchip Technology, myDevices, Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq:SMTC), and The Things Network. The LoRaWAN Academy program includes an online course library, as well as LoRaWAN network packages and an IoT network infrastructure for hands-on training and design.
The mission of the LoRaWAN Academy is to:
- Equip universities with out-of-the-box, state of the art LoRaWAN networks
- Educate the next generation of hardware and software engineers and computer scientists to imagine, develop and operate real-world IoT applications
- Advance LoRaWAN standard-based IoT research and involve top university scholars in real-world problem solving using cutting-edge technology
The program provides established university engineering programs with the coursework, network equipment, development kits, software, and other tools to effectively teach students/participants about LoRaWAN protocol-based LPWANs and applications. Coursework is developed in conjunction with support from Semtech Corporation, the developer of LoRa® devices and wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology), and other members of the LoRa Alliance that scaled the international adoption of the LoRaWAN protocol. The program includes 10 weeks of self-paced online classes that includes video lectures, supplemental reading materials, hands-on assignments, and access to peers in a global LoRaWAN forum. At the end of the program, students can use the LoRaWAN hardware kits and network infrastructure to build real-world IoT applications to apply their learnings.
Corporate Sponsors of the LoRaWAN Academy include companies within the LPWAN supply chain, each offering specific expertise regarding LoRa Technology and the LoRaWAN open specification, giving students a well-rounded and robust learning experience. For more information about each of the corporate sponsors, visit www.LoRaWANacademy.com/partners.
- Kerlink is contributing outdoor Wirnet™ iBTS Compact gateways and indoor Wirnet iFemtoCell gateways.
- LoRa Alliance offers universities complimentary membership and access to the global open LoRaWAN standard.
- Microchip Technology is supplying all development kits for students and researchers.
- myDevices is making available Cayenne, an IoT prototyping and solution builder platform enabling faster integration plus visualization of LoRaWAN connected devices.
- Semtech oversees the curriculum and coursework development and its technical experts are contributors to the in depth content about wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology). Additionally, the company is hosting the LoRaWAN Academy website and sponsoring associated learning portals.
- The Things Network gives the universities access to a highly secure, Cloud-based, private LoRaWAN network server and built the curriculum as well as created and curated the coursework.
“Kerlink is excited to join this initiative to make LoRaWAN technology accessible to top universities worldwide. Students and future engineers will directly experience the ability to imagine concrete and innovative use cases, in various domains, leveraging IoT LoRaWAN-based LPWAN networks,” said Stephane Dejean, Corporate Marketing Officer of Kerlink. “As a specialist and global leader in network solutions dedicated to the IoT, Kerlink will provide its best-in-class, indoor and outdoor gateways to ensure high-performing, reliable and evolutionary lab networks that enable the best connectivity experience.”
“Giving the next generation of developers an understanding of LPWAN technology and the foundational skills for the real world offers them a solid start in their professional life,” said Charles Paumelle, Co-chair of the LoRa Alliance Marketing Committee. “The LoRaWAN Academy will deliver this, giving students and professors access to a vibrant and dynamic professional network. It will also offer participants the opportunity for mentoring from the 500+ members of the fastest-growing IoT standards alliance.”
“The LoRaWAN Academy fills a void for students and teachers that want to learn about IoT and LPWAN technology from the ground up,” said Kevin Bromber, Chief Executive Officer of myDevices. “The coursework and tools provided by the LoRaWAN Academy enable hands-on learning that is critical for preparing students for a career in IoT.”
“The global LoRaWAN open standard is regarded by many as the defacto standard for IoT applications, and by establishing LoRaWAN Academy with our co-sponsors, we are providing universities the tools to effectively prepare their campuses and their students for IoT,” said Jaap Groot, Vice President of System Business Development for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group, Board Member of the LoRa Alliance, and acting director of the LoRaWAN Academy. “The LoRaWAN Academy program will give way to a new generation of engineers prepared to tackle the world’s toughest challenges with IoT technology and equip universities with the infrastructure to conduct LPWAN research.”
“We're in the advent of a global shift towards long range, low power networks of connected things. Strengthening the international developer ecosystem will be a major driver for innovation and broad adoption of technology,” said Wienke Giezeman, Chief Executive Officer and Co-founder of The Things Network.
- Learn more about the LoRaWAN Academy.
- Apply for admission to the program (for authorized University delegates).
- Sign up for the LoRaWAN Academy e-newsletter to get quarterly updates.
- Follow the LoRaWAN Academy on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
About LoRaWAN Academy
LoRaWAN Academy is a hands-on, comprehensive curriculum for universities to give future and current engineers the fundamental skills needed for the Internet of Things (IoT). The curriculum includes hardware starter kits and network infrastructure as well as a comprehensive learning program for universities to adopt. The curriculum includes 10 weeks of self-paced online classes that includes video lectures, supplemental reading materials, hands-on assignments, and access to peers in a global LoRaWAN forum. The corporate sponsors of the LoRaWAN Academy are Kerlink, LoRa Alliance, Microchip Technology, myDevices, Semtech Corporation and The Things Network. For more information, visit www.LoRaWANacademy.com.
Contact: Sparkpr Email: LoRaWAN-Academy@sparkpr.com
LoRaWAN Academy is a comprehensive, global university program connecting next-generation engineers with LoRa-based LPWAN technology for applied learning and advanced research. Learn more: www.lorawanacademy.com.